[CentOS] RHEL 7.3 released

Fri Nov 4 14:05:39 UTC 2016
Mark Haney <mark.haney at vifprogram.com>

I'm with Matthew Phelps on this.  If CentOS is built with the exact same
sources as RHEL, why not keep the numbering scheme the same?  That would
make life easier for people like me who build CentOS RPMs from
tarballs/SRPMS that run on RHEL and having to look up version numbers is
just idiotic.  I mean, that's a Microsoft pet peeve of mine.

This is also why I don't deploy CentOS as much as I would like.  I'd hoped
the merger/acquisition/partnership with RH would eliminate some of that,
instead it seems to be regressing. I don't get it.

On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 9:48 AM, Alice Wonder <alice at domblogger.net> wrote:

> On 11/04/2016 06:14 AM, Phelps, Matthew wrote:

>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> 1.  Is CentOS-7.3 done yet?  Answer:  NO!
>>>
>>> And it is NOT CentOS-7.3 .. it is CentOS-7 (1611) based on RHEL-7.3
>>> Sources.  The main tree will be labeled '7.3.1611' on the mirrors (along
>>> side 7.0.1406 and 7.1.1503, and 7.2.1511, all of which are already there)
>>>

>>> Obligatory objection to this version numbering scheme:
>>
>> Deviating from RHEL in such a basic way is crazy, dumb, stupid, annoying,
>> wrong, etc, etc.
>>
>> There, done.
>>

> Obligatory addition - the RPM %{release} tag often includes the RHEL minor
> release, e.g. 7_2 currently, so I will just call it 7.2 and likely same
> when 1611 tree is released.

Mark Haney ::: Senior Systems Engineer
*VIF* *International Education*
P.O. Box 3566 ::: Chapel Hill, N.C. 27515 ::: USA
919-265-5006 office

Global learning for all.
www.viflearn.com
Find VIF on Facebook <http://facebook.com/VIFInternationalEducation> |