[CentOS] FireFox and Plugins

Fri Nov 4 14:42:06 UTC 2016
James Pearson <james-p at moving-picture.com>

Alice Wonder wrote:

> Thank you, that looks like what I originally was seeking - a way to
> blacklist the plugin.
>
> It's still a bit puzzling that there isn't a checkbox next to plugins in
> the Preferences pane.

In 'about:addons -> Plugins', there is a pull down next to each plugin
that has 'Ask to Activate', 'Always Activate' and 'Never Activate'

I believe the default is 'Ask to Activate' - so setting this to 'Never
Activate' will effectively disable the plugin

The 'lockPref' example in an autoconfig file forces 'Never Activate'
without letting users change this setting

> I gather FireFox is planning to get rid of plugin support altogether so
> soon it may not be an issue.

I believe the next ESR release (ESR 52 in March 2017) will still support
NPAPI plugins - although the mainline Firefox releases after that date
won't (see
https://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases/2016/07/20/reducing-adobe-flash-usage-in-firefox/)
- so, I guess NPAPI plugin support will still exist in Firefox shipped
by RedHat/CentOS until sometime in 2018

James Pearson