[CentOS] CentOS 6.3 packages updates options without upgrading.

Tue Nov 8 05:12:17 UTC 2016
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

On 11/7/2016 8:33 PM, Dipal Bhatt wrote:
> Unfortunately, there's not possibility in this specific situation to be able to update from 6.3 -> 6.8.

any such external specifications that insist you run an old obsolete
operating system are inherently broken.   I hope this server isn't
connected to the internet, and isn't providing any services to untrusted
users.

any RHEL/CentOS 6 compatible applications you have that work on 6.3 that
won't work on 6.8 are broken.

  * 6.8's kernel is is still 2.6.32, same as 6.3.
  * 6.8's glibc is still 2.12
  * 6.8's php is still 5.3
  * 6.8's mysql is still 5.1
  * 6.8's postgresql is still 8.4
  * 6.8's perl is still 5.10
  * 6.8's python is still 2.6.6
  * etc etc.

all of these components have security and bug fixes from later releases
backported to them.