[CentOS] No Sound On Centos 7 VM

Mark LaPierre

marklapier at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 04:21:24 UTC 2016

On 09/29/16 19:04, Darr Darr wrote:

> Try running
> amixer set Master 100%
> (which I found on linuxquestions.org at the 4th result down using
> google.com/search?q=centos+7+sound+not+working+in+vm )
> Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5

Hey Darr Darr,

Thank you for the response.  Unfortunately there was no solution to my
problem there.

I have a Windows 7 guest with working sound.  The CentOS 7 guest not so
much.  The host machine is CentOS 6.  I'm using KVM.  They were using
vmware.

I ran:

[mlapier at peach ~]$ amixer set Master 100%
Simple mixer control 'Master',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 65536
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 65536 [100%] [on]
  Front Right: Playback 65536 [100%] [on]
[mlapier at peach ~]$

I set the KVM powered CentOS 7 guest to use the AC97 audio.  Reboot,
restart, no joy.

The article seemed to suggest that they were trying to connect with a
remote desktop.  I'm not doing that either.  I'm looking to get sound on
the host machine from the guest machine.

--
    _
   °v°