[CentOS] Virtualization Networking

Jon LaBadie jcu at labadie.us
Mon Oct 3 18:05:29 UTC 2016

On Mon, Oct 03, 2016 at 07:54:36AM -0400, TE Dukes wrote:

> OK, I'm about done trying to get this to work. I have spent HOURS reading,
> installing, re-installing, etc.
>
> I can get the guest to access the internet but have tried every was possible
> to be able to access the guest from the LAN or even the host. Nothing I have
> tried works.
>
> The only thing all documentation leaves out is how to set up the guest
> networking during the install. Seems if I don't set anything up or just set
> it to DHCP it has internet connectivity, but that is all.
>
> I have gone back in after the guest has been installed and changed the
> networking configuration to match my LAN, that doesn't work either. I lose
> internet accessibility when I do that.
>
> I have tried to install CentOS 7 and Debian 8, the same problems with each.
> I have tried CentOS the built in Virt-Manager and VirtualBox. with same
> results.  Can't seem to find the free version of VMware but I suspect I
> would have the same results as well.
>
> Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Don't know about the other VM software, but I have several VM guests
under VirtualBox.  Each of them has their networking set up as "bridged
adapter".  Although they could use DHCP then, I've used each virtual
guest's network software to set them up with static address configs.

No problems reaching other lan hosts in either direction nor in
reaching the internet.

Jon
Jon H. LaBadie                 jon at jgcomp.com
 11226 South Shore Rd.          (703) 787-0688 (H)
 Reston, VA  20190              (703) 935-6720 (C)