[CentOS] gigE -> 100Mb problems

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Tue Oct 11 08:14:12 UTC 2016

On 10/10/2016 11:21 PM, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> On 10/10/2016 09:31 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
>>
>> oh.
>
> Yeah, the entire "net-tools" package is deprecated.  I tend to forget
> which of the two (ethtool or mii-tool) is in that set.
>
> # Avoid using any of these:
> $ rpm -ql net-tools

/bin/dnsdomainname
/bin/domainname
/bin/hostname
/bin/netstat
/bin/nisdomainname
/bin/ypdomainname
/sbin/ether-wake
/sbin/ifconfig
/sbin/ipmaddr
/sbin/iptunnel
/sbin/mii-diag
/sbin/mii-tool
/sbin/nameif
/sbin/plipconfig
/sbin/route
/sbin/slattach

ok, so the mii-* stuff is deprecated (as is route, ifconfig, netstat,
and arp? sigh).

apparently the network administrator went ahead and forced the switch
port to use gigE, so its no longer in the 'broken' state of
autonegotiating 100baseT.