[CentOS] Disabling sound chip

Alice Wonder

alice at domblogger.net
Tue Oct 18 06:40:27 UTC 2016

01:00.1 Audio device [0403]: NVIDIA Corporation High Definition Audio
Controller [10de:0be3] (rev a1)

I don't want that seen by the sound software.

That's the sound chip on my video card, probably there for the HDMI output.

For some reason, that sound device takes preference over my USB
headphones and it is really annoying

I tried creating /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist with the following :

blacklist snd_hda_intel
blacklist snd_hda_codec_hdmi

That didn't work.

Those are not CentOS specific instructions, the only CentOS specific
instructions I found are related to nVidia and are rather complex and I
don't believe this is that complex - at least it shouldn't be.

I'm 99% sure snd_hda_intel is the driver.

It shows up as Intel HD Audio in the Mate Sound control panel. I just
want it disabled so I don't have to constantly use the control panel.

Any hints or suggestions appreciated, not sure why there isn't just a
checkbox to disable things like sound devices.