[CentOS] Disk near failure

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Fri Oct 21 15:20:05 UTC 2016

John R Pierce wrote:
> On 10/21/2016 2:03 AM, Alessandro Baggi wrote:
>>
>> My ssds are failing?
>
> SSD's wear out based on writes per block.   they distribute those
> writes, but once each block has been written X number of times, they are
> no longer reliable.
>
> they appear to still be working perfectly, but they are beyond their
> design life.   soon or later, if you continue the amount of writes
> you've been doing, you'll get back errors or bad data.
>
> I would plan on replacing those drives sooner rather than later.   5
> years was a good run.

1. Especially if they're consumer grade.
2. And that's a fairly early large (for SSD) drive.
3. We've got a RAID appliance that takes actual SCSI that's still running,
though we're now in the process of replacing these 10 yr old RAIDs....
4. SATA is a *lot* cheaper for *much* larger capacity drives...

      mark