[CentOS] Disk near failure

Alessandro Baggi alessandro.baggi at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 10:07:12 UTC 2016

Il 21/10/2016 17:20, m.roth at 5-cent.us ha scritto:
> John R Pierce wrote:
>> On 10/21/2016 2:03 AM, Alessandro Baggi wrote:
>>>
>>> My ssds are failing?
>>
>> SSD's wear out based on writes per block.   they distribute those
>> writes, but once each block has been written X number of times, they are
>> no longer reliable.
>>
>> they appear to still be working perfectly, but they are beyond their
>> design life.   soon or later, if you continue the amount of writes
>> you've been doing, you'll get back errors or bad data.
>>
>> I would plan on replacing those drives sooner rather than later.   5
>> years was a good run.
>
> 1. Especially if they're consumer grade.
> 2. And that's a fairly early large (for SSD) drive.
> 3. We've got a RAID appliance that takes actual SCSI that's still running,
> though we're now in the process of replacing these 10 yr old RAIDs....
> 4. SATA is a *lot* cheaper for *much* larger capacity drives...
>
>       mark

Hey there,
I've runned smartctl -l xerror/error /dev/sda but I get:

smartctl 6.2 2013-07-26 r3841 [x86_64-linux-3.10.0-327.36.2.el7.x86_64]
(local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-13, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART Error Log not supported

I've noticed this also with smartctl -a /dev/sda