[CentOS] SElinux suggestions needed: migrating backup service

Leon Fauster

leonfauster at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 24 16:53:53 UTC 2016

Hi folks,

normally I have not so much to do with SElinux but I expected to get in touch sooner or later :-)

I migrated a backup-system from El5 to EL6 and the rsync backup process is complaining about selinux attr's now.

client <-> server (fetches via rsync -aHAX)

client# sestatus
SELinux status:                 disabled

server# sestatus
SELinux status:                 enabled
SELinuxfs mount:                /selinux
Current mode:                   permissive
Mode from config file:          permissive
Policy version:                 24
Policy from config file:        targeted

for example, no label for this file on client side:

client# ls -laZ /usr/share/zoneinfo/Africa/Bissau
-rw-r--r--  root root                                  /usr/share/zoneinfo/Africa/Bissau

but on server side:

rsync: rsync_xal_clear: lremovexattr("usr/share/zoneinfo/Africa/.Bissau.WaE4wj","security.selinux") failed: Permission denied (13)

and

server# ls -laZ /BACKUP/usr/share/zoneinfo/Africa/Bissau
-rw-r--r--. root root unconfined_u:object_r:locale_t:s0 usr/share/zoneinfo/Africa/Bissau

the local (server) destination is mounted like:

server# cat /proc/mounts |grep BACKUP
/dev/sdc1 /BACKUP ext3 rw,seclabel,nosuid,nodev,noatime,nodiratime,errors=continue,acl,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0

this partition comes from the former system (EL5 productively used without labeling it and with SElinux disabled).

I started to enable SElinux (permissive) on new systems and therefore disabling SElinux
like it was done before on the former system is not an option.

Any suggestions to avoid the default labeling "unconfined_u:object_r:locale_t:s0"?

--
Thanks,
LF