[CentOS] "Shortcut" for creating a software RAID 60?

Gordon Messmer gordon.messmer at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 18:54:09 UTC 2016

On 10/25/2016 05:41 AM, Sorin Srbu wrote:
> I found a shortcut for creating a software RAID 10 ("--level=10"), device in
> CentOS 6.

That's not really a shortcut, per se.  RAID10 in Linux is not
necessarily similar to RAID1+0.  The default, "near" layout is the
classic 1+0 layout, but other modes of operation are supported by the
RAID10 driver.

> Looking at the below, I don't see anything about a shortcut for RAID 60.

Correct.  There's no such driver.

> Besides, I haven't found any way to fail a member disk, as is possible to do
> when using RAID level 10.

If you built a RAID0 array of RAID6 arrays, then you'd fail a disk by
marking it failed and removing it from whichever RAID6 array it was a
member of, in the same fashion as you'd remove it from any other array type.