[CentOS] rpmbuild question

Gordon Messmer gordon.messmer at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 22:28:30 UTC 2016

On 10/26/2016 10:07 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>     Trying to build a package from a gzipped tarball of a python package.
> I'm trying to build it in /root/rpmbuild.

To echo Frank's advice: don't do that.  Build rpms as a non-root user.
Consider using "mock", especially if you intend to distribute your packages.

> Python has a way to build it,
> but it creates its own tree, with a clone of the rpmbuild tree under
> *that*.

It sounds like you're using "setup.py bdist_rpm".  When you do that,
python's setuptools will create a temporary rpm build environment in
./build/.  You should also get the src.rpm in ./dist/

If you want to build the package in your own rpmroot, just take the
src.rpm from ./dist/ and rebuild it.