[CentOS] NFS help

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Thu Oct 27 21:16:45 UTC 2016

Matt Garman wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 12:03 AM, Larry Martell <larry.martell at gmail.com>
> wrote:
<snip>
> On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 3:05 AM, Larry Martell <larry.martell at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Well I spoke too soon. The importer (the one that was initially
>> hanging that I came here to fix) hung up after running 20 hours. There
>> were no NFS errors or messages on neither the client nor the server.
>> When I restarted it, it hung after 1 minute, Restarted it again and it
>> hung after 20 seconds. After that when I restarted it it hung
>> immediately. Still no NFS errors or messages. I tried running the
>> process on the server and it worked fine. So I have to believe this is
>> related to nobarrier. Tomorrow I will try removing that setting, but I
>> am no closer to solving this and I have to leave Japan Saturday :-(
>>
>> The bad disk still has not been replaced - that is supposed to happen
>> tomorrow, but I won't have enough time after that to draw any
>> conclusions.
>
> I've seen behavior like that with disks that are on their way out...
<snip>
I just had a truly unpleasant thought, speaking of disks. Years ago, we
tried some WD Green drives in our servers, and that was a disaster. In
somewhere between days and weeks, the drives would go offline. I finally
found out what happened: consumer-grade drives are intended for desktops,
and the TLER - how long the drive keeps trying to read or write to a
sector before giving up, marking the sector bad, and going somewhere else
- is two *minutes*. Our servers were expecting the TLER to be 7 *seconds*
or under. Any chance the client cheaped out with any of the drives?

      mark