[CentOS] Disk near failure

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Fri Oct 28 17:15:15 UTC 2016

On Fri, October 28, 2016 11:50 am, Alessandro Baggi wrote:
> Il 28/10/2016 16:28, Valeri Galtsev ha scritto:

>>> Thank you for your suggestion.
>>>
>>> What do you think about Corsair Neutron XTi 240 MLC?
>>>

>> Amazing. He suggested you definitely reliable drive (Samsung). Reliable
>> in
>> my boot too. You ask his opinion about yet another Corsair. One by
>> Corsair
>> failed on you already. So, you should have better knowledge about
>> Corsair's SSD reliability, right?
>>
>> Sorry to sound sour, it just amuses me how people keep buying things
>> made
>> by the same company whose products already failed on them. This is what
>> creates the problem: keeps companies manufacturing bad hardware exist.
>>
>> Valeri
>>
>> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>> Valeri Galtsev
>> Sr System Administrator
>> Department of Astronomy and Astrophysics
>> Kavli Institute for Cosmological Physics
>> University of Chicago
>> Phone: 773-702-4247
>>

> Sorry, but my 2 ssds corsair does not report error and works fine, with
> good performances and without realloc. These disks are not failed. Yes,
> they are failing but these are old driver and this is a desktop under
> raid. Consider that these drive are 5 years old, for me this is not bad
> ssd brand, there are best brand but corsair is not too bad.
>
> Now, Yamaban had suggested samsung because this is the best choice. This
> does not exclude that there are other products (that can be less
> reliable and less performant at lower cost) that for my case are good
> enough. Corsair neutron has also 5 years of warrenty.
>
>  > Sorry to sound sour, it just amuses me how people keep buying things
> made
>  > by the same company whose products already failed on them. This is what
>  > creates the problem: keeps companies manufacturing bad hardware exist.
>  >

> If you are AMD user and your old AMD cpu died, You think that AMD must
> burn due to a cpu failure? Great.
> I'm with you in the case where you buy a disk and after 3/6 months it
> fails (and this can happen also with very good brand) and this is not
> the case. Backblaze must burn all brand because many disks fails....
>
> Now about bad hardware manufacturing companies it's another problem.
> These companies point to low cost consumer, due the fact that not anyone
> can get the best hardware due to money. An example? Corsair LE 480 GB
> (100$) vs  Samsung SSD Serie 850 Pro 512GB (260$). 850 Pro is better,
> but more expensive, and Corsair LE has 3 year of warrenty. Maybe an user
> can spend his money  for a vga or a better cpu. These bad companies
> permit some users to get hw for less money without a great expecation
> for cheapest use case and their ability to pay.

Yes, indeed, I'm with you on that. Market is driven by low budget
(ignorant - not to offend, but to just qualify in insight into hardware)
consumer. Which indeed leads to "fake raid" chips (aka "software" raid),
and many other bad things. I sometimes have to deal with what students
have ordered themselves. Hence excessive attitude. As they order before
they hear from me: "pricegrabber is an enemy in choosing reliable
hardware". Then all leads to downtime, someone has to spend time on
repairing the darn thing. Whereas, if one pays mere 15% more and gets good
hardware, future losses (including human time which is very expensive) can
be avoided. Alas, SSD difference in hand is larger that 15%, hence
probably nobody will dare to help with advice. If there is good advice
that is. I for one did go with Samsung SSD...

Valeri

> Than if these cheap companies must not exist, the user must not use a
> new technology (at lower cost)? The IT gap.
>
> Sorry, my (m.)2 cents.

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago