[CentOS] Airprint to old printer using Centos server

Tom Grace lists-in at deathbycomputers.co.uk
Mon Oct 31 12:00:07 UTC 2016

On 31/10/2016 10:43, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I've found a number of articles on setting up a Linux / CUPS / Avahi server to
> allow airprinting, but they all seem to be quite old.
>
> Two questions:
>
> 1) Does anyone have a link for a more recent article, hopefully specifically
> for Centos7.
I've not seen specific instructions for CentOS 7, but when I last did
this the actual AirPrint script was simple enough that I doubt you'd
have trouble. Main thing is making use that you can print directly from
your CentOS machine.

> 2) I'm on a structured, VLAN network.  Will I have to put a WIFI card into my
> Centos server to give it a presence on the WIFI before this will work?
Depends how the network is set up. I had my AirPrint server on a
different VLAN to the wifi, and you need the following for that to work:
An Avahi bridge so the announcements from AirPrint are also announced on
the WiFi
Firewall rules to allow the CUPS port through from the WiFi to your server

I found this was pretty easy to configure, but I was able to completely
control the network (putting VMs on any VLAN; opening firewalls etc.).
It might be easier to use wifi in your setup.