[CentOS] CentOS on new Thinkpads

Sat Oct 1 03:58:27 UTC 2016
Gordon Messmer <gordon.messmer at gmail.com>

On 09/30/2016 09:02 AM, Michael B Allen wrote:
> My feeling is it takes
> at least 1 year before the kernels have the necessary updates.
> The key features for me are:
>
> * 1080 display or 900 would be acceptable but definitely not 768 (this
> rules out Toshiba)
> * Good keyboard with mouse buttons (Lenovo has always had superior
> keyboards and fortunately that have recently resurrected mouse
> buttons, yeah!)
> * RJ-45 (this rules out a LOT of laptops including Dell)
> * Intel graphics / hardware

Several of Dell's developer models have RJ-45, but those have better AMD
or (optionally) NVidia graphics:

http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/555/campaigns/xps-linux-laptop?c=us&l=en&s=biz

It's worth mentioning again that Dell is one of the companies doing the
development for the bits that don't work, and that those drivers are
often the ones that get Lenovo equipment going, too. Lenovo does not, to
the best of my knowledge, do any Linux development.