[CentOS] Virtualization Networking

Mon Oct 3 15:16:30 UTC 2016
TE Dukes <tdukes at palmettoshopper.com>

-----Original Message-----
From: centos-bounces at centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On Behalf
Of Liam O'Toole
Sent: Monday, October 3, 2016 10:28 AM
To: centos at centos.org
Subject: Re: [CentOS] Virtualization Networking

On 2016-10-03, TE Dukes
<tdukes at palmettoshopper.com> wrote:

>> -----Original Message----- From:
>> centos-bounces at centos.org
>> [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On Behalf Of Liam O'Toole Sent:
>> Monday, October 3, 2016 9:19 AM To:
>> centos at centos.org Subject: Re: [CentOS] Virtualization Networking

>> > OK, I'm about done trying to get this to work. I have spent HOURS
>> > reading, installing, re-installing, etc.
>> >
>> > I can get the guest to access the internet but have tried every was
>> > possible to be able to access the guest from the LAN or even the
>> > host.  Nothing I have tried works.
>> >
>> > The only thing all documentation leaves out is how to set up the
>> > guest networking during the install. Seems if I don't set anything
>> > up or just set it to DHCP it has internet connectivity, but that is
>> > all.
>> >
>> > I have gone back in after the guest has been installed and changed
>> > the networking configuration to match my LAN, that doesn't work
>> > either. I lose internet accessibility when I do that.
>> >
>> > I have tried to install CentOS 7 and Debian 8, the same problems
>> > with each.  I have tried CentOS the built in Virt-Manager and
>> > VirtualBox.  with same results.  Can't seem to find the free
>> > version of VMware but I suspect I would have the same results as
>> > well.
>> >
>> > Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.
>> >
>> > TI!
>>
>> VirtualBox gives you a GUI for setting up port forwarding from the
>> host to the guest. It's under Machine -> Settings -> Network ->
>> Advanced. Did you try it?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Liam
> [Thomas E Dukes] Hi!
>
> Thanks, I did
>
> I portwared 80 to 8080 and 22 to 2222.

What happens when you issue the command 'ssh -p 2222 localhost' on the host?
I'm assuming that an ssh server is running on the guest and that there are
no firewalls getting in the way.

I haven't tried that on the latest install. I tried on a previous install
and it failed, maybe because I was logging as root.

I 've thinking it maybe be a firewall issue as well. Don't think it DNS as I
set the guest hostname and IP address PTR in my local zone file on the host.

> I also tried the NAT networking, changing the default 10.0.5.0/24 to
> 192.168.1.0/24

Never tried that.

--

Liam