[CentOS] Desktop for newbies

Mon Oct 10 13:56:27 UTC 2016
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 09/30/2016 10:19 AM, david wrote:
> Folks
>
> I'm about to set up a non-root user on a Centos=7 server that I control
> for a friend.  It is in his home, so access is local.  He's a refugee
> from the latest Windows 10 Upgrade.  I'd like a suggestion as to which
> of the several possible graphical desktops to suggest to him and set up
> for him as his default.
>
> My aim is:
> - Allow him to try out Linux as an end-user
> - Let him start to feel comfortable with the desktop
> - Learn the new idioms for familiar programs and functions
>
> And later
> - Give him his own system with root privileges.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> David

Well, I would set up standard (not classic) GNOME3 and a normal user and
give him root privs via sudo.  And tell him the root password as well.

If you turn on the extensions for Applications (top menu) and show
windows at the bottom, GNOME 3 is close enough from a desktop standpoint
that Windows users can figure everything out as a user.

If you tell him the root password and also setup sudo access .. he can
control everything like users, etc. via the GUI (will ask for the root
password) .. and as he becomes more comfortable with the CLI, he can use
sudo to start things as root from there.

I initially used the Classic skin for gnome3 (and even Mate and/or
Cinnamon for a gnome2 desktop) .. but for me, eventually, the 'Windows
Button' with app search by default in the standard GNOME3 desktop was
the easiest platform for me to use.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes