[CentOS] gigE -> 100Mb problems

Tue Oct 11 12:43:48 UTC 2016
Tris Hoar <trishoar at bgfl.org>

On 11/10/2016 09:14, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 10/10/2016 11:21 PM, Gordon Messmer wrote:
>> On 10/10/2016 09:31 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
>>>
>>> oh.
>>
>> Yeah, the entire "net-tools" package is deprecated.  I tend to forget
>> which of the two (ethtool or mii-tool) is in that set.
>>
>> # Avoid using any of these:
>> $ rpm -ql net-tools
>
> /bin/dnsdomainname
> /bin/domainname
> /bin/hostname
> /bin/netstat
> /bin/nisdomainname
> /bin/ypdomainname
> /sbin/ether-wake
> /sbin/ifconfig
> /sbin/ipmaddr
> /sbin/iptunnel
> /sbin/mii-diag
> /sbin/mii-tool
> /sbin/nameif
> /sbin/plipconfig
> /sbin/route
> /sbin/slattach
>

> ok, so the mii-* stuff is deprecated (as is route, ifconfig, netstat,
> and arp? sigh).
>
> apparently the network administrator went ahead and forced the switch
> port to use gigE, so its no longer in the 'broken' state of
> autonegotiating 100baseT.

Just for comparison this is a server that is set to auto negotiate

[root at sch-mwg-01 access.log]# mii-tool eth0
eth0: negotiated 100baseTx-FD, link ok
[root at sch-mwg-01 access.log]# ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
	Supported ports: [ TP ]
	Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
	                        100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
	                        1000baseT/Full
	Supported pause frame use: Symmetric
	Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
	Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
	                        100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
	                        1000baseT/Full
	Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric
	Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
	Speed: 1000Mb/s
	Duplex: Full
	Port: Twisted Pair
	PHYAD: 1
	Transceiver: internal
	Auto-negotiation: on
	MDI-X: off
	Supports Wake-on: pumbg
	Wake-on: g
	Current message level: 0x00000007 (7)
			       drv probe link
	Link detected: yes

Note that mii-tool is reporting incorrectly. That server is currently
processing ~500Mbit/s.
Of the tools listed above, the only one I still extensively use is
netstat as ss, its replacement, is IMO not very nice.

Tris

to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email
in error please notify postmaster at bgfl.org

The views expressed within this email are those of the
individual, and not necessarily those of the organisation