[CentOS] CentOS-7-x86_64-GenericCloud.raw very unusual format

Tue Oct 11 21:20:48 UTC 2016

On 11/10/16 03:21, TE Dukes wrote:
> Just a question, what exactly are these images?
>
> I see it mentioned on the CentOS website but not a lot of info on exactly
> what it is and what it does.
>
> How does this differ from a CentOS 7 VM installed from an ISO? Are these
> just pre-made images?

these are images prebuilt to work in cloud infrastructure like openshift
/ amazon ec2 etc. they are pre-setup with cloud-init tools and are
formatted in different backing filetypes.

you can use them for local VM's as well, but you will just need to do a
bit more work since there is no way to login to the images without
exporting the metadata externally to setup passwords and keys etc.

--
Karanbir Singh