[CentOS] Backup Suggestion on C7

Thu Oct 13 20:24:13 UTC 2016
J Martin Rushton <martinrushton56 at btinternet.com>

I'm not a bacula expert, but have had 30+ years in the industry doing
backups.  I'm a little concerned about what you are planning.  As I
understand it you are going to be keeping just one copy of each machine
on a disk attached to the server.  This will help if you loose the
running disks (though it is hardly backup in depth), but what happens if
you loose the server due to fire, flood, electrical problems, theft or
even plain old dropping it?  In general you should aim for multiple
backup copies; are you willing to bet the company's future on one
untried copy?  You should ensure that the backup copies are held
preferably off site, failing that in a separate building, or else in a
secure fireproof strongbox.

Start by assuming you come into work one day to find the building burnt
out and collapsed.  Now work out how to rebuild your system on new kit
on another site and you'll find that you define your backup needs.

Regards,
Martin