[CentOS] CentOS 7/GNOME 3 customise top panel

Fri Oct 14 14:45:15 UTC 2016
Toralf Lund <toralf.lund at pgs.com>

On 14/10/16 16:23, Tris Hoar wrote:
> On 14/10/2016 13:39, Toralf Lund wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there any way to customise the top panel in CentOS 7 with GNOME 3
>> (which I recently tried for the first time)? Specifically, I want to add
>> "application launchers", as it will make start-up faster than the
>> standard alternatives. (Because you can move the mouse directly to the
>> right place - you don't have to carry out another action, wait for icons
>> or menu items to pop up, look for the right one etc first.)
>>
>> People on the web talk about a "context" menu that opens if you use some
>> kind of weird combination of right mouse-click and Alt, Windows key,
>> Ctrl, left click, Alt Gr or whatever, but there seems to be no way to
>> make that happen on CentOS.
>>
>> I found an answer of sorts in
>> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.centos.org_forums_viewtopic.php-3Ft-3D47957&d=CwICAg&c=KV_I7O14pmwRcmAVyJ1eg4Jwb8Y2JAxuL5YgMGHpjcQ&r=Q0oqxzgUp3xCCIiJDwS-RbNDndQ-KZDhj8wwveNoqU4&m=BxVT4fC5-ld_lFoIcV_OwlpkAWG-qCjrKVYMcYoQGzc&s=bnrSG3ad2veUCGecX3vTMEbjyXprqn1AGP1ok0TmLVc&e=
>> -
>>> In straight Gnome Shell -- CentOS 7 defaults to a modified version
>>> using extensions -- the panel *is* locked. Visit extensions.gnome.org
>>> to see if something there is useful.
>> - but I don't think I quite understand it. I mean, the ability to add
>> extensions is nice, but if the panel is locked, isn't an "unlock"
>> function what I should be looking for? This doesn't quite sound like an
>> "extension". Or is the actual menu everyone talks about itself an
>> extension? If that's the case, surely isn't there some other way to make
>> the changes? If the standard panel allows stuff to be added, there must
>> be a standard way to do it, right?
>>
>> Also, if I do need extensions, I'd prefer to install it via the package
>> manager system rather than through a special web interface...
>>
>> Does anyone know more about this? Any help would be appreciated. -
>> Except, that is, I don't really need anyone to suggest switching to MAME
>> or some other alternative desktop. I might end up doing just that, but
>> it really bugs me that I can't get functionality that's supposed to be
>> there to work...
>>
>> - Toralf
>>
> Hi Toralf,
>
> Have a look at
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__extensions.gnome.org_&d=CwICAg&c=KV_I7O14pmwRcmAVyJ1eg4Jwb8Y2JAxuL5YgMGHpjcQ&r=Q0oqxzgUp3xCCIiJDwS-RbNDndQ-KZDhj8wwveNoqU4&m=BxVT4fC5-ld_lFoIcV_OwlpkAWG-qCjrKVYMcYoQGzc&s=KEcKgPQYo6TSlJrKF4krI90szNC5QTVlVnIsUDdWsWU&e=
> specificity
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__extensions.gnome.org_extension_6_applications-2Dmenu_&d=CwICAg&c=KV_I7O14pmwRcmAVyJ1eg4Jwb8Y2JAxuL5YgMGHpjcQ&r=Q0oqxzgUp3xCCIiJDwS-RbNDndQ-KZDhj8wwveNoqU4&m=BxVT4fC5-ld_lFoIcV_OwlpkAWG-qCjrKVYMcYoQGzc&s=hudrg7rSGBGWTdezYPyROGgrIzPhhPRxs5YYgH2dmDg&e=

Maybe I should have been a bit more specific; I don't want launchers in
a menu accessed from the panel - I want the icons to appear directly in
the panel itself.

> also look at Gnome Tweak Tool which lets you make some other changes
> to how Gnome 3 works.
I tried this earlier, but didn't find any setting related to what I want.

> That application Menu I believe will work on C7 (I'm using F24 as my
> desktop)
The menu is actually there already - the relevant extension seems to be
pre-installed.

In the Fedora version, what happens if you press Alt and right-click on
the panel? If the answer is "nothing", how about
"Windows"+Alt+right-click or Ctrl+Alt+right-click?

- Toralf