[CentOS] Sound problem, possibly Mate Volume Control

Sun Oct 16 01:18:01 UTC 2016
Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>

On Sat, Oct 15, 2016 at 05:02:55PM -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Oct 2016 18:49:53 -0400
> Fred Smith wrote:
>
> > Any clues?
>
> Is it possible that the Connector setting under the Output tab is wrong?  The volume control might be controlling the volume on an unused output.

Well, I don't think so...

there are only two choices there, Headphones and Line Out. Headphones
kinda makes sense, since the green jack on the back of the computer
is where the amplifier/speakers are connected. It has been this way
for the life of this computer (2-3 years).

Choosing LIne Out immediately cuts off the audio entirely.

the "device" option has two devices, built-in analog audio, or the
nvidia HDMI jack. since I don't use the nvidia hdmi for audio output,
I leave it on the built-in analog audio.

I know it was working as recently as yesterday, because I was listening
to an audiobook on the Internet Archive last evening.

I also tried to post on the Mate forums, but they seem to be closed,
i.e., not accepting any new postings.

 .----    Fred Smith   /
 /    /  /   /__) /  /  /__) .+'           Home: fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us