[CentOS] NFS help

Fri Oct 21 17:55:21 UTC 2016

Larry Martell wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 21, 2016 at 11:42 AM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
>> Larry Martell wrote:
50 external machines that FTP files to this server fairly
continuously.

>>> Sorry for being dense, but I am not a sys admin, I am programmer and
we have no sys admin. I don't know what you mean by your question. I
am NFS mounting to what ever the default filesystem would be on a
CentOS6 system.

>> This *is* a sysadmin issue.
>
> I know it's a sysadmin issue. I wish we had one, but we don't and I am
the one being asked to fix things.

Seriously, get a really good book on doing sysadmin work. 10 years ago, I
was recommending O'Reilly's one, "Essential Systems Administration", by
Aeleen Frisch. It saved my butt, I assure you, 21 years ago, when I had
the same thing happen.

>> Each partition is formatted as a specific type
>> of filesystem. The standard Linux filesystems for Upsteam-descended
have been ext3, then ext4, and now xfs. Tools to manipulate xfs will
not work with extx, and vice versa.
<snip>
> I have no remote access to this system, only on site, so it will have to
wait until Monday for me to check. (The system is in Japan and I
traveled from NY to Japan, where I am now, just to fix this issue.)

Oh, geez, they want you to fix this... but you can't ssh in? This is *so*
stupid. Here, fix this, and before you start, let me put an eyepatch over
one eye, ties one hand behind your back, and prevent you from using
manpages....

Best of luck, guy.

       mark