[CentOS] NFS help

Wed Oct 26 00:22:35 UTC 2016
Larry Martell <larry.martell at gmail.com>

On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 12:48 PM, Matt Garman <matthew.garman at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 6:09 PM, Larry Martell <larry.martell at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The machines are on a local network. I access them with putty from a
>> windows machine, but I have to be at the site to do that.
>
> So that means when you are offsite there is no way to access either
> machine?  Does anyone have a means to access these machines from
> offsite?
>
>> Yes, the C6 instance is running on the C7 machine. What could be
>> mis-configured? What would I check to find out?
>
> OK, so these two machines are actually the same physical hardware, correct?

Yes.

> Do you know, is the networking between the two machines "soft", as in
> done locally on the machine (typically through NAT or briding)?  Or is
> it "hard", in that you have a dedicated NIC for the host and a
> separate dedicated NIC for the guest, and actual cables going out of
> each interface and connected to a switch/hub/router?  I would expect
> the former...

I don't know, but would also guess the former.

> If it truly is a "soft" network between the machines, then that is
> more evidence of a configuration error.  Now, unfortunately, with what
> to look for: I have virtually no experience setting up C6 guests on a
> C7 host; at least not enough to help you troubleshoot the issue.  But
> in general, you should be able to hit up a web search and look for
> howtos and other documents on setting up networking between a C7 host
> and its guests.  That will allow you to (1) understand how it's
> currently setup, (2) verify if there is any misconfig, and (3) correct
> or change if needed.
>
>> Yes, that is potential solution I had not thought of. The issue with
>> this is that we have the same system installed at many, many sites,
>> and they all work fine. It is only this site that is having an issue.
>> We really do not want to have different SW running at just this one
>> site. Running the script on the C7 host is a change, but at least it
>> will be the same software as every place else.
>
> IIRC, you said this is the only C7 instance?  That would mean it is
> already not the same as every other site.  It may be conceptually the
> same, but "under the hood", there are a tremendous number of changes
> between C6 and C7.  Effectively every single package is different,
> from the kernel all the way to trivial userspace tools.

Yes, of course it's different at that level. But I was talking about
our application software and set up. It is that that I want to keep
consistent across deployments.

>> netperf is not installed.
>
> Again, if you can use putty (which is ssh) to access these systems,
> you implicitly have the ability to upload files (i.e. packages) to the
> systems.  A simple tool like netperf should have few (if any)
> dependencies, so you don't have to mess with mirroring the whole
> centos repo.  Just grab the netperf rpm file from wherever, then use
> scp (I believe it's called pscp when part of the Putty package) to
> copy to your servers, yum install and start testing.

Again, no machine on the internal network that my 2 CentOS hosts are
on are connected to the internet. I have no way to download anything.,
There is an onerous and protracted process to get files into the
internal network and I will see if I can get netperf in.