[CentOS] [OT] How to recover data from an IDE drive

Thu Oct 27 01:11:42 UTC 2016
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

On 10/26/2016 6:01 PM, TE Dukes wrote:
> As some may recall, I suffered a hardware failure of a 10 yr old IBM
> Netvista back in January. I was backing up my personal data, 'My Documents',
> to my CentOS server but I apparently didn't get my emails.
>
> It was a main board failure and I believe the data is still good on the hard
> drive. Only problem, its an IDE drive and my server and new PC have SATA
> drives.
>
> Is it possible to install the old drive as a secondary drive into a newer PC
> with SATA drives? If so, how do I do this? I need to access the emails.
>
> This was a Windows XP machine using Outlook as the mail client.

you would need an IDE controller to do that.   I have one that is
external and connects via USB, also came with a drive power supply...

something like this,
https://www.amazon.com/Vantec-CB-ISATAU2-Supports-2-5-Inch-5-25-Inch/dp/B000J01I1G
(works with SATA, 3.5 and 2.5" IDE, and has power supply connectors for
both SATA and IDE style power)