[CentOS] NFS help

Thu Oct 27 04:54:18 UTC 2016
Larry Martell <larry.martell at gmail.com>

On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 7:51 AM, mark <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
> On 10/24/16 03:52, Larry Martell wrote:

> <snip>

> <snip>
>>>
>>> cat /etc/fstab on the systems, and see what they are. If either is xfs,
>>> and assuming that the systems are on UPSes, then the fstab which controls
>>> drive mounting on a system should have, instead of "defaults",
>>> nobarrier,inode64.
>>

>> The server is xfs (the client is nfs). The server does have inode64
>> specified, but not nobarrier.
>>
>>> Note that the inode64 is relevant if the filesystem is > 2TB.
>>

>> The file system is 51TB.
>>
>>> The reason I say this is that we we started rolling out CentOS 7, we
>>> tried
>>> to put one of our user's home directory on one, and it was a disaster.
>>> 100% repeatedly, untarring a 100M tarfile onto an nfs-mounted drive took
>>> seven minutes, where before, it had taken 30 seconds. Timed. It took us
>>> months to discover that NFS 4 tries to make transactions atomic, which is
>>> fine if you're worrying about losing power or connectivity. If you're on
>>> UPS, and hardwired, adding the nobarrier immediately brought it down to
>>> 40
>>> seconds or so.
>>

>> We are not seeing a performance issue - do you think nobarrier would
>> help with our lock up issue? I wanted to try it but my client did not
>> want me to make any changes until we got the bad disk replaced.
>> Unfortunately that will not happen until Wednesday.
>

> Absolutely add nobarrier, and see what happens.

Finally got to add nobarrier (I'll skip why it took so long), and it
looks like this just caused the problem to morph a bit.

On the C7 NFS server, besides having 50 external machines ftp-ing
files to it, we run 2 jobs: 1 that moves files around (called
image_mover) and one that changes perms on some files (called
chmod_job).

And on the C6 NFS client, besides the job that was hanging (called the
importer), we also run a another job (called ftp_job) that ftps files
to the C6 machine. The ftp_job had never hung before, but now the
importer that used to hang has not (yet) hung, and the ftp_job that
had not hung before now is hanging.

But the system messages are different.

On the C7 server there is a series of messages of the form 'task
blocked for >120 seconds' with a stack trace. There is one for each of
the following:

nfsd, chmod_job, kworker, pure_ftpd, image_mover

In each of the stack traces they are blocked on either nfs_write or nfs_flush

And on the C6 client there is a similar blocked message for the ftp
job, blocked on nfs_flush, then the bad sequence number message I had
seen before, and at that point the ftp_job hung.