[CentOS] Disk near failure

Fri Oct 28 16:50:57 UTC 2016
Alessandro Baggi <alessandro.baggi at gmail.com>

Il 28/10/2016 16:28, Valeri Galtsev ha scritto:

> On Fri, October 28, 2016 2:42 am, Alessandro Baggi wrote:
>> Il 27/10/2016 19:38, Yamaban ha scritto:
>>> For my personal use I would replace that Drive asap.
>>> - There is no warranty for it anymore (time since buy)
>>> - You can't buy it new anymore (discontinued)
>>> - There are more reliable drives available.
>>>
>>> I'd go for a Samsung Evo 850, that will give you five years of warranty.
>>>
>>> But, it's your drive, you make the decissions.
>>>
>>>  - Yamaban.
>>
>> Thank you for your suggestion.
>>
>> What do you think about Corsair Neutron XTi 240 MLC?
>>

> Amazing. He suggested you definitely reliable drive (Samsung). Reliable in
> my boot too. You ask his opinion about yet another Corsair. One by Corsair
> failed on you already. So, you should have better knowledge about
> Corsair's SSD reliability, right?
>
> Sorry to sound sour, it just amuses me how people keep buying things made
> by the same company whose products already failed on them. This is what
> creates the problem: keeps companies manufacturing bad hardware exist.
>
> Valeri
>
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> Valeri Galtsev
> Sr System Administrator
> Department of Astronomy and Astrophysics
> Kavli Institute for Cosmological Physics
> University of Chicago
> Phone: 773-702-4247

Sorry, but my 2 ssds corsair does not report error and works fine, with
good performances and without realloc. These disks are not failed. Yes,
they are failing but these are old driver and this is a desktop under
raid. Consider that these drive are 5 years old, for me this is not bad
ssd brand, there are best brand but corsair is not too bad.

Now, Yamaban had suggested samsung because this is the best choice. This
does not exclude that there are other products (that can be less
reliable and less performant at lower cost) that for my case are good
enough. Corsair neutron has also 5 years of warrenty.

 > Sorry to sound sour, it just amuses me how people keep buying things made
 > by the same company whose products already failed on them. This is what
 > creates the problem: keeps companies manufacturing bad hardware exist.

If you are AMD user and your old AMD cpu died, You think that AMD must
burn due to a cpu failure? Great.
I'm with you in the case where you buy a disk and after 3/6 months it
fails (and this can happen also with very good brand) and this is not
the case. Backblaze must burn all brand because many disks fails....

Now about bad hardware manufacturing companies it's another problem.
These companies point to low cost consumer, due the fact that not anyone
can get the best hardware due to money. An example? Corsair LE 480 GB
(100$) vs  Samsung SSD Serie 850 Pro 512GB (260$). 850 Pro is better,
but more expensive, and Corsair LE has 3 year of warrenty. Maybe an user
can spend his money  for a vga or a better cpu. These bad companies
permit some users to get hw for less money without a great expecation
for cheapest use case and their ability to pay.

Than if these cheap companies must not exist, the user must not use a
new technology (at lower cost)? The IT gap.

Sorry, my (m.)2 cents.