[CentOS] Disk near failure

Fri Oct 28 18:38:25 UTC 2016
Alessandro Baggi <alessandro.baggi at gmail.com>

For me the answer for this is: use what you need. For example consider
raid.
On my desktop I have an mdadm raid level mirror. It is only a desktop used
for some task at home (testing, coding...). Why buy a valid controller like
areca or (as suggested on a discussion, maybe on reddit) an HBA to make a
simple raid? I don't need an HBA or an high value controller on my
i7-2600k. Then the consideration should be "if you need high disk I/O
perfomances and a lot of space buy the right hardware."

For example there are a great number of small offices that need of little
nas. There are cheap products that can perform well this operation but
these are  not valid hardware. I'm not a fan of this solution types but
many technician install them because the committent says "oh please, drop
the price". If for a small office, a technician must get a 1000/1500 $ for
a server to serve as nas, he will not work. I have seen this type of
product on lan with 120 hosts with a deadly performances.