[CentOS] Disk near failure

Fri Oct 28 19:03:28 UTC 2016
Alessandro Baggi <alessandro.baggi at gmail.com>

Hi Yamaban,
Great expalanation. I think you know how to buy an ssd. There is no doubt
about samsung ssds quality vs other. My question about neutron was to get
your opinion about this product.

My doubt was about differences between slc, mlc and tlc. Mlc endurance
respect tlc is better and I though that the mlc of neutron gives me more
endurance respect to the tlc. From a technic point of view, why the samsung
tlc is better of corsair mlc? And what about v nand? Have you used it?

Thanks in advances

Il 28/ott/2016 20:33, "Yamaban" <foerster at lisas.de> ha scritto:

> On Fri, 28 Oct 2016 18:50, Alessandro Baggi wrote:

> >  warranty.
>>> >
>>>  Amazing. He suggested you definitely reliable drive (Samsung).
Reliable in
>>>  my boot too. You ask his opinion about yet another Corsair. One by
Corsair
>>>  failed on you already. So, you should have better knowledge about
>>>  Corsair's SSD reliability, right?
>>>
>>>  Sorry to sound sour, it just amuses me how people keep buying things
made
>>>  by the same company whose products already failed on them. This is what
>>>  creates the problem: keeps companies manufacturing bad hardware exist.
>
> [snip]
>

>> Sorry, but my 2 ssds corsair does not report error and works fine, with
good performances and without realloc. These disks are not failed. Yes,
they are failing but these are old driver and this is a desktop under raid.
Consider that these drive are 5 years old, for me this is not bad ssd
brand, there are best brand but corsair is not too bad.

>> Now, Yamaban had suggested samsung because this is the best choice. This
does not exclude that there are other products (that can be less reliable
and less performant at lower cost) that for my case are good enough.
Corsair neutron has also 5 years of warrenty.

>>>  Sorry to sound sour, it just amuses me how people keep buying things
made
>>>  by the same company whose products already failed on them. This is what
>>>  creates the problem: keeps companies manufacturing bad hardware exist.
>>>

>> If you are AMD user and your old AMD cpu died, You think that AMD must
burn due to a cpu failure? Great.
>> I'm with you in the case where you buy a disk and after 3/6 months it
fails (and this can happen also with very good brand) and this is not the
case. Backblaze must burn all brand because many disks fails....

>> Now about bad hardware manufacturing companies it's another problem.
These companies point to low cost consumer, due the fact that not anyone
can get the best hardware due to money. An example? Corsair LE 480 GB
(100$) vs  Samsung SSD Serie 850 Pro 512GB (260$). 850 Pro is better, but
more expensive, and Corsair LE has 3 year of warrenty. Maybe an user can
spend his money  for a vga or a better cpu. These bad companies permit some
users to get hw for less money without a great expecation for cheapest use
case and their ability to pay.

>> Than if these cheap companies must not exist, the user must not use a
new technology (at lower cost)? The IT gap.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10406/corsair-gives-phison-ps3110-s10-another-try-neutron-xti-ssds-launched

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-neutron-xti-ssd-review,4599.html