[CentOS] Alternative GUI

Fri Sep 30 03:00:59 UTC 2016
Alice Wonder <alice at domblogger.net>

On 09/29/2016 07:25 PM, Greg Bailey wrote:
> On 09/29/2016 06:41 PM, Fred Smith wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 07:25:54PM -0400, Mark LaPierre wrote:
>>> Hey All,
>>>
>>> I'm considering moving from CentOS 6 to CentOS 7.  I'm not interested in
>>> dealing with Gnome 3.  I've heard good things about Mate, a fork of
>>> Gnome 2.  it appears that Mate is available in the EPEL repository
>>> associated with CentOS 7.
>>>
>>> Have any of you tried Mate on CentOS 7?  In your experienced opinion
>>> what would I be giving up by abandoning Gnome 3 and installing Mate
>>> instead?
>> I'm using Mate on several C7 systems. The only issue is that now I
>> dont have to try to use that horrid Gnome thing they've inflicted on
>> us! :)
>>

> I also run MATE on CentOS 7, for the same reasons.

Same here however with the my latest system build I set one account up
to use GNOME 3 and it definitely has considerably improved since when
CentOS 7 first shipped.

MATE is still better IMHO but I now have some hope for GNOME 3.

Still feels like it is trying to be a tablet OS but not quite as much.

I still couldn't figure out how to do things like get green text on
black background in the Terminal (easy in Mate) or get the Applications
menu with submenus - but it was easier to use than what initially shipped.

--
-=-
Sent my from my laptop, may not be able to respond timely