[CentOS] more than one IP address on network device?

Jon LaBadie jcu at labadie.us
Sun Sep 4 18:13:36 UTC 2016

Valeri,

not on list as it does not pertain to Linux.

On Sun, Sep 04, 2016 at 10:25:23AM -0500, Valeri Galtsev wrote:

> > IPADDR2=192.168.1.10
> > BROADCAST2=192.168.1.255 <--
> > NETMASK2=255.255.255.0
> > NETWORK2=192.168.1.0 <--
> > GATEWAY2=192.168.1.1 <--
>
> Interesting... With these settings, namely GATEWAY2=..., how the
> arbitration is done (in networks stack) which of gateways is used for
> packets to be sent outside of networks the machine is on?
>
> As far as I know FreeBSD, there can be only one gateway (BTW, synonym:
> default gateway). Theoretically, the machine can have more than one
> gateway, but for that you need to have specially configured firewall/nat.
> Is this somehow different in Linux, and Linux does that auto-magically?

Decades ago, I was running Solaris x86 at home.  My internet connection
was a 24/7 14.4KBaud phone connection to my ISP.  I then added my first
broadband cable connection.  During the transition I investigated dual
gateways.  At that time, Solaris just alternated between the two.  It
wasn't load balancing, and once a connection was made it stayed with
that interface if it was up.  Just new connections alternately were
sent via one or the other gateway interfaces.

Jon
Jon H. LaBadie                 jon at jgcomp.com
 11226 South Shore Rd.          (703) 787-0688 (H)
 Reston, VA  20190              (703) 935-6720 (C)