[CentOS] HP Envy EFI problem after BIOS update

Gary Stainburn

gary at ringways.co.uk
Wed Sep 14 12:40:15 UTC 2016

I had to boot my HP Envy into Win8 for the first time in ages this morning.
When I did that, it installed some updates including a BIOS update.

Once this was all done, once again the GRUB boot menu was gone and it booted
straight into Win8.  Using the advanced boot manager options in Win8 I
managed to get the EFI boot menu up and chose Ferdora 21.

It was only after Fedora failed to boot that I realised that this was wrong.
Some time ago I had replaced F21 with Centos 7 and the three Centos 7 options
were the ones that should be available - plus the Windows 8 boot manager.

I have managed to boot into a Centos 7 Live KDE image. In this ran efibootmgr
which shows the same thing.  I can fix the boot sequence, but that will not
get me back the Centos entries.

Can anyone suggest how I can do that?

Gary

[root at localhost ~]# efibootmgr
BootCurrent: 0000
Timeout: 0 seconds
BootOrder: 2002,0002,3002,0001,2001,2003
Boot0000* Internal CD/DVD ROM Drive (UEFI)
Boot0001* Fedora
Boot0002* Windows Boot Manager
Boot2001* USB Drive (UEFI)
Boot2002* Internal CD/DVD ROM Drive (UEFI)
Boot3000* Internal Hard Disk or Solid State Disk
Boot3002* Internal Hard Disk or Solid State Disk
[root at localhost ~]#