[CentOS] IPMI ??

Mauricio Tavares raubvogel at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 11:11:10 UTC 2016

On Sat, Sep 17, 2016 at 6:25 AM, Alice Wonder <alice at domblogger.net> wrote:
> Never used IPMI in my life and while I thought it was cool when I heard
> about it, had no plans to.

        Under many different names (Sun called it LOM; I forgot IBM's
name), this has been out there for a while. And it is IMHO the best
way to deal with servers. My normal server installing procedure is:

1. slap server wherever it will reside
2. Run the power cords
3. Run the ethernet cords for both normal use and IPMI. I'd probably
be mindful of which vlans each cable goes to.
4. Fire computer up
5. Connect to the IPMI ethernet port using openipmi/whatever; by
default it is generally setup to do dhcp.
6. Through ipmi, configure server's bios/raid/whatever and then boot
it, feeding an ISO with the OS of choice through ipmi. Good time to do
any server bios upgrade too.
7. Don't forget to change IPMI PW!

> Just built a home server (while out of town) using a SUPERMICRO
> MBD-X10SLM+-F-O
>
> I put an nVidia 405 based video card in it but it may be bad.
>
> When I power it on, I get some beeps but they are different than the no
> memory beeps (I intentionally powered on w/o memory to hear those) and I
> think what may be happening is normal boot process but no video simply
> because the card (bought used) may be bad.
>
> Before I go and try to find a retailer that still carries VGA cables, is
> there a way via the boards IPMI interface (it has ethernet port just for
> that) to connect from my CentOS 7 laptop and see if the machine is normally
> powering on?

      Connect both to a switch attached to your dhcp server (or make
laptop provide that to ipmi) and then connect from laptop to ipmi and
go do your thing.

Video cards are for desktops.

> I saw some IPMI packages exist for CentOS 7 but I don't know if this is what
> they are for.
>
> And it seems there are OpenIPMI and freeimpi packages. Are those just
> different ways of doing same thing or do they serve different purposes?

      Personally I do not think the supermicro box cares. IPMI is a
standard. Whichever you use should provide a way to send out (remote)
commands and then have a console so you can install thingies in the
server.

With that said, I have used openipmi myself; you do want the ipmitool,
which is a package.

Sample commands (lookup to see what they do. Notice I am using default l/p):

ipmitool -I lan -H 192.168.21.125 -U ADMIN -P ADMIN sel
ipmitool -I lanplus -H 192.168.21.125 -U ADMIN -P ADMIN mc reset cold
ipmitool -I lanplus -H 192.168.21.112 -U ADMIN -P ADMIN mc info

References I have used:

http://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/IPMI/en
http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-poweredge/2007-January/029190.html