[CentOS] How to enable the svm cpu flag inside a vm?

Leonard den Ottolander

leonard at den.ottolander.nl
Fri Sep 23 13:05:53 UTC 2016

Hello,

I'm trying to get the Android Emulator to run inside a kvm vm on
CentOS-6. Apparently the latest Android Emulators cannot run without
hardware acceleration so I am trying to get the vm to see the svm cpu
flag.

Host:
$ grep model\ name /proc/cpuinfo | sort -u
model name	: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor

$ grep svm /proc/cpuinfo | sort -u
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov
pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt
pdpe1gb rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow constant_tsc rep_good nonstop_tsc
extd_apicid pni monitor cx16 popcnt lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic
cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch osvw ibs skinit wdt npt
lbrv svm_lock nrip_save

$ cat /sys/module/kvm_amd/parameters/nested
1

I have tried copying the cpu options (Opteron_G3) in the host cpu
configuration and setting the svm flag to either "model", "required" or
"force" to no avail:

$ ps waux | grep qemu
qemu      7962  7.2 21.9 3722092 2680668 ?     Rl   13:23
6:36 /usr/libexec/qemu-kvm -name C7-Android -S -M rhel6.6.0 -cpu
Opteron_G3,+invtsc,+wdt,+skinit,+ibs,+osvw,+3dnowprefetch,+cr8legacy,
+extapic,+cmp_legacy,+3dnow,+3dnowext,+pdpe1gb,+fxsr_opt,+mmxext,+ht,
+vme -enable-kvm -m 3072 -realtime mlock=off -smp
<snip>

So the question is: How do I enable the svm flag in the guest?

Regards,
Leonard.