[CentOS] Install Mariadb on Centos 7 fails

Warren Young wyml at etr-usa.com
Fri Sep 23 20:02:48 UTC 2016

On Sep 23, 2016, at 11:20 AM, david <david at daku.org> wrote:

> As the original note pointed out, /var/log/mysqld.log does not exist, as shown by these two commands:
>
> [root at goat ~]# ls -1F /var/log/mysqld.log
> ls: cannot access /var/log/mysqld.log: No such file or directory
> [root at goat ~]# ls -1Z /var/log/mysqld.log
> ls: cannot access /var/log/mysqld.log: No such file or directory
> [root at goat ~]#

In that case, the error means that user mysql doesn’t have write access to /var/log, which is as it should be, since my EL7 box says:

    $ ls -ld /var/log
    drwxr-xr-x. 21 root root 4096 Sep 18 03:28 /var/log/

You need to configure MariaDB to write its logs to a directory it does have write access to, by default /var/log/mariadb.  MariaDB is configured this way here:

    [mysqld_safe]
    log-error=/var/log/mariadb/mariadb.log

If your /etc/my.cnf says something else, then the poster up-thread who guessed that you have an old my.cnf file nailed it.  Unless you have precious configuration info in it, I’d replace it with /etc/my.cnf.rpmnew if it exists, or just remove it and reinstall the RPM.

(Incidentally, you mistranscribed the commands we gave you.  It’s an “l”, not a “1” in ls -lF and ls -lZ, though it doesn’t matter in this case.)