[CentOS] How to move /var to another partition

Robert Nichols rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net
Sun Sep 25 17:03:21 UTC 2016

On 09/25/2016 11:47 AM, TE Dukes wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am getting low on space in my /(root) partition. I have 23GB free.
>
> I have 350GB in my /home partition. I am the only user.
>
> I was experimenting with virtualization and it causes the root partition to
> get very low. I would like to move /var from the root partition, to the same
> partition as /home, if that's safe to do.
>
> Or, resize /home and add another partition for /var
>
> I also don't want to screw the pooch doing it.
>
> This is over my head. The more I read about it, the more confused I get.

The way I've been doing it for quite some time is to make /var a
separate partition, put the home directories on /var/home, and then
bind-mount /var/home on /home. In /etc/fstab that's:

     /var/home   /home   none   bind   0 0

To keep SELinux happy, you need to set up an equivalence of /var/home
to /home:

     semanage fcontext -a -e /home /var/home

It's all completely transparent in the running system. The only time I
have to remember that it's set up that way is when I'm looking in my
backups and need to know that home directories are backed up as part
of /var.

                 Do NOT delete it.