[CentOS] How to move /var to another partition

Alice Wonder alice at domblogger.net
Sun Sep 25 17:40:17 UTC 2016

On 09/25/2016 10:23 AM, J Martin Rushton wrote:

> On 25/09/16 18:03, Robert Nichols wrote:
>> On 09/25/2016 11:47 AM, TE Dukes wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am getting low on space in my /(root) partition. I have 23GB free.
>>>
>>> I have 350GB in my /home partition. I am the only user.
>>>
>>> I was experimenting with virtualization and it causes the root
>>> partition to
>>> get very low. I would like to move /var from the root partition, to
>>> the same
>>> partition as /home, if that's safe to do.
>>>
>>> Or, resize /home and add another partition for /var
>>>
>>> I also don't want to screw the pooch doing it.
>>>
>>> This is over my head. The more I read about it, the more confused I get.
>>
>> The way I've been doing it for quite some time is to make /var a
>> separate partition, put the home directories on /var/home, and then
>> bind-mount /var/home on /home. In /etc/fstab that's:
>>
>>     /var/home   /home   none   bind   0 0
>>
>> To keep SELinux happy, you need to set up an equivalence of /var/home
>> to /home:
>>
>>     semanage fcontext -a -e /home /var/home
>>
>> It's all completely transparent in the running system. The only time I
>> have to remember that it's set up that way is when I'm looking in my
>> backups and need to know that home directories are backed up as part
>> of /var.
>>

> Alternatively create /home/VM and keep the virtualised disks in there.

This is the solution I would use. I use < 80 GB for / which makes it
cheap for / to be an SSD (I use 120 GB SSD but every system, < 80GB is
actually used, most < 60GB is actually used).

Databases and other stuff that take up space are in a /srv on its own
platter disk rather than in /var - I would do a similar thing with VM
images.

It's nice to be able to do a fresh completely wiping the old root
partition and then be able to mount your other partitions and change a
few config files and be back up and running. Keep a small physical disk
like an SSD just for / makes that easy.

-=-
Sent my from my laptop, may not be able to respond timely