[CentOS] How to enable the svm cpu flag inside a vm?

Leonard den Ottolander leonard at den.ottolander.nl
Tue Sep 27 14:29:20 UTC 2016

Hello Barak,

On Mon, 2016-09-26 at 18:53 +0300, Barak Korren wrote:
> On 25 September 2016 at 17:57, Leonard den Ottolander >>
> >> Nested Virtualization will be a tech preview in RHEL 7.3 Beta, and so
> >> it'll be available after RHEL 7.3 is released and CentOS rebuilds it.

> Officially its gonna be tech-preview in 7.3, but I can tell you we've
> been successfully using it for testing oVirt since 7.1... (For el7 on
> top of el7, see [1] for setup example)
>
> YMMV though, we only tested with intel CPUs so far...

Thanks for pointing this out. It seems I do not have to wait for the
release of 7.3 to get this to work.

Using "host-passthrough" as the vm cpu type after enabling nested
virtualization for my AMD Opteron on a pristine CentOS-7.2 system indeed
passes the svm cpu flag and /dev/kvm to the guest. I haven't actually
installed Android Studio yet, but I am quite confident the emulator will
work. This is a compelling reason to update my desktop from C6 to C7.
Hadn't planned on that for a few more years but oh well... :)

Regards,
Leonard.