[CentOS] An 'orrible question: Outlook 365 under wine on CentOS?

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Wed Sep 28 16:25:38 UTC 2016

On Wed, September 28, 2016 10:05 am, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 09/23/2016 02:50 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> Either CentOS 6 or 7 - anyone know if it's possible?
>> Upper Management has decided on a policy that IMAP is going to go away in
>> the near future, and they want everyone on Lookout, sorry, Outlook 365.
>
> Office 365 (including outlook) has a web client for Mail and Calendar.
>
> I use both with firefox and chrome on CentOS-7.
>
> I don't use either the Calendar or the Mail enough to have cared about
accessing it any other way than the web client.

Yes, I guess the OP got many of us confused as to what the high brass
decision in his company is:

1. Is it IMAP server (and whatever calendar server) is (are) to be
replaced by MS Exchange server,

or

2. Clients have to use MS Outlook (is there requirement to have integrated
server side calendar part so users can send embedded event invitations
from the Outlook mail/calendar/(whatever else) clients?)

1. is clear, UNIX servers are to go, and MS certified sysadmin will be
hired soon to run exchange server.

2. Can depend on what high brass order exactly is. I do have a bunch of
users who use outlook configured to talk to my IMAP servers. And others
mention the same. I do believe there exists open source counterparts to
what MS Exchange server does (collabsuite pops up in my mind...). But
running that in this situation would be PITA. The ones I've seen normally
need their own client side application. Even if Outlook client will work
with them (fully, not as just as IMAP client), then there is fair chance
closed source/ closed "standards" MS client will stop working after some
MS update or version of client upgrade. And with MS you can not avoid
doing update, update, update... so going that route is planting time bomb
under yourself. Bottom line: even if it just decision 2, MS Exchange
server is what it ultimately will lead to.

In other words, my semi-humorous first assessment: when you hear this
decision it is time to search for new job, is probably the only viable
one. Or, take paid leave and go through full blown MS training and
certification. Yes, certification is more valuable than your ability in MS
admin community in my observation! But as always, this is OP assessment
and decision that matters as he will be the one dealing with consequences.

Do not shoot the bad news messenger ;-(

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator