[CentOS] Virtualization Networking

tdukes at palmettoshopper.com tdukes at palmettoshopper.com
Wed Sep 28 18:09:16 UTC 2016

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [CentOS] Virtualization Networking
From: John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>
Date: Wed, September 28, 2016 12:54 pm

On 9/28/2016 8:43 AM, tdukes at palmettoshopper.com wrote:
> I'm a little confused on which networking option I need to choose when
> setting up a VM.

the host thats running the VM, is it connected to a LAN behind a
firewall/router, or directly to the internet? if directly, is there a
dedicated internet IP address that the VM can use? if yes, then you
want a bridged network where the VM uses that dedicated internet IP
seperate from the host's IP.
-------------------------------------

Right, its connected to a router. The host acts as an internal router
for machines and devices on the LAN.

if its on a LAN with private addressing, you want to use a dedicated LAN

IP address, seperate from the host's LAN IP, but since its behinda NAT
router, I really don't know how you'd expect it to use DDNS as that will

only see the router's internet IP address.

This is what I was seeing. Either it lands on the DSL router's login
page or the host's website.

I guess this is why I'm confused. I thought a VM could be setup as its
own domain with all available services.