[CentOS] "Windows" share issue; access via smb:// fails, "mount -t cifs" works

Thu Sep 1 08:26:34 UTC 2016
Toralf Lund <toralf.lund at pgs.com>

On 30/08/16 10:00, Toralf Lund wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is anyone here using smb:// URLs to access "Windows" shares? I've been
> doing this for a while with common file systems at work, and it used
> to work just fine. Then I while back, I started getting issues; I will
> now just keep getting asked for a password when I try to access
> something through smb://. I thought at first that this meant there had
> been some kind of change related to permissions on the shares, but now
> I find that I can mount them just fine using "mount -t cifs".
I found out a bit more about this - I believe that I have the issue
described here:

http://community.netapp.com/t5/Network-Storage-Protocols-Discussions/samba-3-6-23-30-on-CentOS-gt-error-in-smbclient/td-p/118268

In other words, the problem is that "SPNEGO" fails. If I add "client use
spnego = no" to /etc/samba/smb.conf, smbclient access works (I found
that I also got a problem there), but unfortunately, gvfs-mount still
doesn't. The debug output that I get if I run gvfsd on the command line
with "GVFS_DEBUG=1" and "GVFS_SMB_DEBUG=99" actually still report SPNEGO
errors, so it would appear that the smp.conf option is for some reason
ignored. In other words the question may be:

How do I disabled SPNEGO for gvfs-mount?

Also, the above suggest that whether this problem occurs depends on
whether "you have SMB signing turned on or not under the 'cifs' options
section", but it not clear to me what options exactly this refers to.
Anyone?

Oh, and some other posts I found seem to indicate that mount.cifs
doesn't support SPNEGO yet, so I guess that's why a "normal" mount works.

- Toralf