[CentOS] Whether to use systemd to start services

Tue Sep 6 20:07:52 UTC 2016
Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org>

On Tue, Sep 06, 2016 at 08:03:01PM +0000, Stalker, Tim wrote:
> I'm wondering if it's normally required to start services with
> systemd as opposed to sysv? I currently load a few services using the
> old init.d/service funtionality, which still works fine. Is this ok
> or is sysv going to be fully discontinued in the future? The service
> I load is celeryd via init.d but so far finding few pointers as to
> how to do this with a celery.service file. I can load the service
> with this line execStart=/etc/init.d/celeryd

I don't think there's any plan to remove the sysv init script
compatibility from systemd. That should basically continue to work
forever, and if it's working for you, awesome.

If you _do_ want to convert a script, there's a nice guide over on Fedora
Magazine:
https://fedoramagazine.org/systemd-converting-sysvinit-scripts/

Why would you want to? You can get some nice functionality like
restart-on-crash behavior or resource limiting with cgroups. But,
again, if you don't wanna, you don't hafta.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>