[CentOS] CM8828 sound chip ??

Tue Sep 20 19:02:34 UTC 2016
Ned Slider <ned at unixmail.co.uk>

On 20/09/16 18:37, Alice Wonder wrote:
> Need a PCI-E sound card with low profile bracket, optical out, and one
> of those mini-din connectors that fans out into various analog connectors.
>
> Only card I have been able to find so far uses a CM8828 chipset.
>
> Looks like that chipset is natively supported by the kernel alsa driver
> starting in 3.17 kernel but CentOS 7 uses 3.10 kernel.

It may have started out it's life as a 3.10 kernel, but Red Hat
constantly backports updated drivers to support new hardware.

The only way to tell whether or not it is supported by a given driver is
to query the PCI vendor:device ID.

Once you know these, you can query your system to see if the device is
supported by any of your installed kernels:

grep -i VendorID /lib/modules/*/modules.alias | grep -i DeviceID