[CentOS] Virtualization Networking

Thu Sep 29 15:46:58 UTC 2016
Gordon Messmer <gordon.messmer at gmail.com>

On 09/28/2016 08:43 AM, tdukes at palmettoshopper.com wrote:
> I have one of those free domains/DNS from no-ip.com, centos7vm.ddns.net
> I plan to use as the host name.
>
> I want to be able to access this VM from the internet.
> This is what I was seeing. Either it lands on the DSL router's login
> page or the host's website.

If you only have one address, you'll need to configure port forwarding
or a "bastion host" from that DSL router (whatever it supports).  Your
"no-ip.com" address will simply point at that host.

> So, how much in the network setup for the new installation do I need to
> do? Do I need to go with NAT or bridged?

You have a couple of options for VMs that you want to access from the
LAN.  The best documented and probably most widely used is bridged.
That one also probably requires the most setup:

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html/Networking_Guide/ch-Configure_Network_Bridging.html

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html/Virtualization_Deployment_and_Administration_Guide/sect-Network_configuration-Bridged_networking.html

You can also use macvtap, which doesn't require the use of a special
bridge interface, but you do have to enable hairpin mode if you want the
KVM guest to be able to access its guests.  I honestly can't find much
useful documentation.

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Virtualization_Administration_Guide/sect-attch-nic-physdev.html