[CentOS] Centos 7.2.1511 with sendmail and a problem with clamav

Fri Sep 30 00:05:16 UTC 2016
Clint Dilks <clintd at waikato.ac.nz>

On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 12:56 PM, Gregory P. Ennis <PoMec at pomec.net> wrote:

> Everyone,
>
> I am putting together a new CentOS 7 mail server for our organization
> and am having some difficulty getting clamav to work with the clamav-
> milter for sendmail.
>
> I have set /etc/clamd.d/scan.conf to use clamscan as the user as well
> as root as the user and the status command of systemctl results in the
> same error messages :
>

>clamd at scan.service - Generic clamav scanner daemon
>    Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/clamd at scan.service; enabled;
> vendor preset: disabled)
>    Active: failed (Result: start-limit) since Thu 2016-09-29 17:53:11
> CDT; 1min 38s ago
>   Process: 1891 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/clamd -c /etc/clamd.d/scan.conf --
> foreground=yes (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
>  Main PID: 1891 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
>
> Sep 29 17:53:11 IrGw3.EcCare.com systemd[1]: Unit clamd at scan.service
> entered failed state.
> Sep 29 17:53:11 IrGw3.EcCare.com systemd[1]: clamd at scan.service failed.
> Sep 29 17:53:11 IrGw3.EcCare.com systemd[1]: clamd at scan.service holdoff
> time over, scheduling restart.
> Sep 29 17:53:11 IrGw3.EcCare.com systemd[1]: start request repeated too
> quickly for clamd at scan.service
> Sep 29 17:53:11 IrGw3.EcCare.com systemd[1]: Failed to start Generic
> clamav scanner daemon.
> Sep 29 17:53:11 IrGw3.EcCare.com systemd[1]: Unit clamd at scan.service
> entered failed state.
> Sep 29 17:53:11 IrGw3.EcCare.com systemd[1]: clamd at scan.service failed.
>
> I have tried running :
> /usr/sbin/clamd -c /etc/clamd.d/scan.conf --foreground=yes
>
> with the foreground set to yes and no and with the user set in
> scan.conf as clamscan or root and it works fine.
>
> I have not been able to figure out what is happening with the command :
>
> systemctl start clamd at scan
>
> The same error messages occur at boot with this command as well as on
> the command line.
>
> Do any of you have suggestions.
>
> Thanks much,
>
> Greg Ennis
>
> I think I have found the problem, but would still like some
> suggestions.
>
> I had set the log file in scan.conf to be /var/log/clamd.scan having
> the user and group name of clamscan and protections of -rw-rw-rw-
>
> When I removed the log file entry line item in scan.conf everything
> worked properly.  Only problem is that all the clamd log entries are
> going in the message file.
>
> If anyone has other suggestions I would appreciate it.

Hi, is SELInux enabled?  if so set it to permissive and see if you can
specify the logging as you wish
If this works you should be able to work out the Local SELinux policy that
you need and then revert back to using enforcing.