[CentOS] Alternative GUI

Fri Sep 30 02:25:38 UTC 2016
Greg Bailey <gbailey at lxpro.com>

On 09/29/2016 06:41 PM, Fred Smith wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 07:25:54PM -0400, Mark LaPierre wrote:
>> Hey All,
>>
>> I'm considering moving from CentOS 6 to CentOS 7.  I'm not interested in
>> dealing with Gnome 3.  I've heard good things about Mate, a fork of
>> Gnome 2.  it appears that Mate is available in the EPEL repository
>> associated with CentOS 7.
>>
>> Have any of you tried Mate on CentOS 7?  In your experienced opinion
>> what would I be giving up by abandoning Gnome 3 and installing Mate instead?
> I'm using Mate on several C7 systems. The only issue is that now I
> dont have to try to use that horrid Gnome thing they've inflicted on us! :)

I also run MATE on CentOS 7, for the same reasons.

Only additional thing I did was to install the "nux" repo, along with
the infinality font rpms, which drastically improved font rendering.
For some reason, the default C7 desktop never looked as good as the
default C6 desktop until I installed:

fontconfig-infinality-1-20120615_1.noarch
freetype-infinality-2.4.12-2.20130514_01.el7.nux.1.x86_64

-Greg