[CentOS] CentOS on new Thinkpads

Fri Sep 30 23:48:26 UTC 2016
Scott Robbins <scottro11 at gmail.com>

On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 06:19:04PM -0500, Chris Adams wrote:

> Only other problem I had was I got the high-res display, which made my
> favorite terminal font (classic X bitmapped font "fixed" aka 6x13) too
> small to comfortably read. :)  Solved that by just doubling the font
> size to 12x26!  Wish someone would make an outline font that looks
> essentially the same so I could scale it (I've taken a look at trying a
> couple of times, but I have no skill for font work I've found).

Sometimes, putting something like

Xft.dpi:180

in ~/.Xdefaults
made all fonts usuable for me on most systems.  I have a page about my
adventures with the yoga2 (though not about CentOS on it.)
https://srobb.net/yoga2.html

What I have found is that the default Fedora workstation auto scales fonts
(and everything else for me).
There are a few other ways to deal with fonts, such as using xrandr to
scale, but in Fedora 24 and up, (you mentioned you were using F23), if
you're using Gnome, it may be just automatically work. I tend to use more
minimalist window managers but even so, with Fedora (and Arch) at least,
the Xft.dpi:180 entry made most things readable.