[CentOS] Sendmail is considered deprecated

Mark Milhollan mlm at pixelgate.net
Sat Apr 1 16:50:19 UTC 2017

On Fri, 31 Mar 2017, Xinhuan Zheng wrote:

>Today I searched redhat official portal and learned that Sendmail is
>considered deprecated. By default, CentOS 7 will use postfix as MTA. I
>need good advise on what it means to us.

As of today you don't need to do anything, apart from explicitly
installing Sendmail after any fresh install (either in the installer or
any time after), e.g., yum install sendmail && yum remove postfix.

But deprecated suggests it will eventually be made unavailable so it
would be wise to begin planning to transition to an alternative, though
when that will happen is unkown so there's no timetable you can work
towards.  Since Postfix is the only other MTA they provide that's what
you should consider most strongly, though if you'd like alternatives
EPEL provides at least Exim and OpenSMTPD.

/mark