[CentOS] OT: systemd Poll

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Mon Apr 10 21:30:50 UTC 2017

John R Pierce wrote:
> On 4/10/2017 1:57 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> In what universe are those "consistant" device names, as opposed to
>> eth[0...]? And how could it help automated scripts that you can run on
>> *any*  system you're administering?
>
> if I have a Intel gigE interface and a Marvell 10g interfaces, which one
> is eth0 and why?
>
> Say its Intel on eth0 and Marvell on eth1, if I then add another intel,
> is the Marvell now eth2 ?

And if I have a 5-yr-old Penguin (OEM-branded Supermicro), and a Dell
PowerEdge R530 and an HP ProLiant dl580 and a hot-off-the-presses
Penguin/Intel, what will their primary device be named?

As opposed to you installing a new NIC in addition to one that's there...
which, since you've just installed it, I suppose you could add the UUID to
whatever you want to name it.

    mark